Monday, October 12, 2009

SIBLINGS 50: AQIQAH

On Friday, 9.10.2009 with Shiwar at the driver’s seat, we proceeded to Ipoh to attend the Aqiqah ceremony for Syun’s youngest grand daughter, Sofea . Sofea is the Perth born daughter of Adik An and Intan. Mek Tet and Wan Mansur were in their car with Mak Teh and Pak Teh tagging along.


Since Syun has agreed to give all of us a lunch treat at Meru, we scheduled our arrival to be before the Friday prayer. We were very lucky because we were served with a dose of Meru Beef Rice. The lunch has really tested our endurance to the limit. Only the stead fast could hold to his principle to the end. Only Pak Teh has passed the acid test by sticking to his white rice diet.
Wan Mansur and I failed miserably because we have deviated from our diet principle because we wanted to appease the mode of the lunch. Wan Mansur has even consumed the Tropica dessert covered by cream which he has been despising all this while. I even consumed the tender beef rice
which I am not fond of.
Anyway it was a very entertaining lunch which has been certified by the senior member of our delegate Mak Teh who is also a superb chef and Mek Tet who is also a good cook of beef rice herself. We were very thankful to Syun for giving us the opportunity to enjoy the lunch and also to accommodate our two days stay at Meru.

We went down to Ipoh one day earlier because I wanted to try my luck for the treatment of my consistent spinal back pain at the Klinik Law at Jalan Lim Bo Seng, Ipoh. After lunch at Meru, Nari brought me straight to Klinik Law and with the blessing of Allah, I really felt a tremendous improvement on my ailment. I did not stop to stretch my legs during my return trip to Alor Setar. I do hope that Mak Ngah would try her luck at Klinik Law.

That night, we joined Syun and his in laws for a genuine Ipoh Nasi Kandar Mamak. I really enjoyed the dinner but I did felt very sad because I could not join the Aqiqah ceremony as well as Syun’s Open House the next day. I have got to rush back to Alor Setar the next day to deliver a lecture to the Kedah Justice of Peace Association members..

From credible sources of information, I believed that it was quite an enjoyable occasion for the Haji Yaacob’s descendants at Syun’s residence the next day. 5/6 th. Hajjah Rodziah’s descendants attended the function together with the other descendants of Wa Nor, Mak Ngah, Mak Chik Sayang, Pak Teh and Pak Su. As with the customary of Haji Yaacob’s descendants tradition, whenever they were together surely the occasion would be very hilarious indeed. Surely the personalities of Puat, Mek Tet, Nayah and Sarah would always add much flavour and spices to the occasion.

Being an ardent member of the Hajjah Rodziah’s family, I felt miserably upset for being not able to participate in the function. Ati Wa Nor and Puat Mak Ngah made the day trip to Ipoh on Saturday just to grace the aqiqah and open house function. As such, Zam managed to hitch a ride back to Alor Setar with Puat on the same night and arrived at Alor Setar at 1.00 am on Sunday.

As age is catching up with us and time is also running short, I believe we should spare more of our quality time with our families. As Syun is also in the same age as mine, I strongly believe that Syun is sharing my feeling on our quality times. Syun has an abundance of resources but limited in his free time. Whereas I have an abundance of free time but with very limited resources.

As such, to show our appreciation and our sincere affection to the family togetherness, Zam and I would grab any opportunity that Syun initiated for any family gathering. On my part, I could not emulate Syun’s initiative towards his family togetherness with my side of the family because of my resources constraints. With this in mind, I will try my best to make every Syun’s family gathering as a memorable occasion to be cherished by every family members.

However I was not lonely for there were two other son in laws of Hajjah Rodziah who could not also make the cut. Mat Nami also shared the same fate as mine for he has got to lead his younger brother’s marriage proposal enquiry (merisik) party at Puchong which took place on the same evening. Whereas I believed Mokthar was somewhere in Bukit Mertajam for his usual official business.

I pity Mat Nami who has been caught by surprised because he unknowingly did not prepare himself well for his mission. Mat Nami and his entourage who were only clad in batik attire were received by the host family fully dressed in the traditional Malay attire accompanied by the proper number of gifts (hantaran) for the requirements of the engagement ceremony (adat meminang). Whereas due to some miscommunications, Mat and his entourage only prepared for the enquiry (merisik) ceremony level requirement with only a sole gift.


I think Mat and his entourage was in a quandary because they did not anticipate that the ceremony was upgraded to the engagement ceremony level. From my CNN source, I think Mat and his entourage turned the table back on the host by scoring a hat trick when they managed to increase the amount of the bride family’s proposal of the hantaran by one ringgit. This episode brought back the fond memory of Hashim, Syun’s buddy who increased the amount of hantaran stipulated by the bride’s father by such an amount that even astonished the bride’s spokesman who has never experienced such a voluntary addition to the stipulated hantaran amount.

My advice to Mat is to be always well prepared for the next level of the marriage ceremony which would be the akad nikah or otherwise Mat must make himself scarce for the occasion. Any way, I consider Mat was very unlucky because he could not share his embarrassment and predicament with Nami who did not accompany him for the ceremony..

So my principle of to be well prepared one step ahead of your opponent for any traditional ceremony still hold water. Lastly, kudos to Mat who could still held his head high even after the embarrassing episode and if you need any supporting hand, I would be ready to do so.
















The serenity at Meru's Apartment at dusk and in the early morning with a lot amenities for the children.

Even with single handicap, Mak Teh could make it to Meru

Waiting for transport to Tiger Lane


Kak Fuzna and Zam on the island of fantacy


Under the watching eyes of Syun the supremo




How do you feel when you are alone and lonely in the middle of the night

Discussing about tomorrow's ceremony

Adik An jealously guarding his girl


I was allowed only a glimpse of Sofea

Sofea's decorated swing cradle raedy for action


The same Syah as he was ten years ago


You must follow your big brother's advice


From left: Haji Mohd. Zuhuri, Shiwar, Jan, Wan Mansur, Shah, Me and Syun


Is it Hans Isaac or otherwise

Swimming pool waiting for swimmers


Wan Mansur delivering the morning break fast at Meru

Getting ready for the Aqiqah ceremony


Off to the Aqiqah ceremony

1 comment:

  1. Computer was down and was made good on 26 oct.
    E was awared that the occassioned was for Bertunang. Due to his 'kedekut pahit'not to spent on 'hantaran'he kept the secret to his family members only.Yong too was embarassed when the girl's mother asked Yong to produced engagement ring and Yong mentioned the occassioned is for 'merisik'.Nasib ...Nasib....

    ReplyDelete