Tuesday, March 29, 2011

REMEMBRANCE 77: MALAGITE @ MALACHITE


Zam with the owner of the Tama Kristal gem shop at Gunung Keriang




From left: The Kashmiri Malagite bracelet (RM 14.00) and the Gunung Keriang Malagite bracelet (RM 180.00)


I was astonished when Zam proudly showed me her new collection of crystal gemstones which she has just acquired from the Tama Kristal gem shop in Gunung Keriang. The obsess for crystal gemstones was initiated by Muzli who introduced Zam to the gem shop whose prices are very reasonable and also its workers has the ability to produce gemstones products much to the likings of Zam. Zam was totally surprised when I told her that the gemstones was of the Malagite or Malachite family. She was very astonished in my ability of identifying the gemstone, as she herself could not remember the type of gemstone that the shop owner has told her.



I told her that I have in fact presented her with a malagite bracelet for her in 1985 which I have bought from a gemstone peddler which had pedaled along side our syikara or sampan on Dal Lake in Kashmir, India. The peddler offered me the opening price of 2000 rupees @ RM 140.00 which I flatly refused because I have a very scarce knowledge about gemstone. With the intention of getting rid of the peddler, I reciprocate with my offer of just 200 rupees @ RM 14.00. Apart from that, I was more interested in taking photographs of the early morning sunrise on Lake Dal, Kashmir.


Shikaras floating peacefully on the tranquility of Lake Dal, Kashmir


My companion on the syikara was my hotel roommate, the late A. Rahmad who wanted to get some inspirations from the misty morning sunrise of Dal Lake for his anticipated short stories. Sure enough, the late A. Rahmad did penned a short story with the title ‘Malagite’ in his collection or anthology of his short stories. As A. Rahmad did not wear any warm clothing against the cold morning, he just covered himself with the hotel’s bed sheet. The gemstone peddler conveniently placed his collections of gemstone on A. Rahmad’s bed sheet for our perusal.


As it was very early in the morning, there was an absence of other gemstone potential buyers on Dal Lake and as such, the gemstone peddler followed us through out the journey back to the hotel. When our syikara berthed at the hotel jetty, the peddler consented to my offer price of 200 rupees as he regarded my price as a good omen or even as a catalyst for the sale of other gemstones. The late A. Rahmad told me that I should be obliged to buy the gemstones as I was the one who has offered the opening price to him. With that advice, I agreed to buy the Malagite bracelet which cost only 200 rupees @ RM 14.00.



After buying the bracelet, I wondered whether it was daylight cheating as I have never heard about any Malagite gemstone. To appease my curiosity, I bought a book on gemstone which cost triple the price of the Malagite gemstone. According to an article about the mysterious power of gems by Pankaj Khanna, Malagite gemstones are not that very costly and they are found in the Soviet Union (Urals), Zaire, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Chile, the United States and Australia.



Its colour is always green but varies from mild green to very dark blackish green. These tones appears in alternate stripes. It has low hardness but can acquire exceptional polish but is not very durable.



The attributes of Malagite gemstones are that they are useful to fight kidney ailments. If this gem is regularly worn, it improves mental alertness, quickness and gives one a systematic approach. This is also helpful in getting a happy life. This bestows youthfulness and desire for outdoor life.



When I bought the Malagite bracelet for her 26 years ago, Zam did not even has a second glance at the smaller bracelet from Kashmir, India. Whereas Zam has shown her Malagite collections from Gunung Keriang, Kedah with pride and awe. Is it because the positive attributes of the Malagite gemstones that has influenced Zam’s perception towards malagite of Gunung Keriang or is it because of Muzli’s diligent persuasiveness. Wallahwaalam.


No comments:

Post a Comment