Friday, April 3, 2009

REMEMBRANCE 5 : CIRCUMCISION



This picture was taken 1958 at the Forest Quarters in Kuah, Langkawi after our circumcison From lefat: Syed Mahmud, Me holding Norin. & my sister Hindun in front.

I was already in Standard Six at Iskandar School, Alor Setar in 1958 but I was not yet circumcised. I was already 12 years old and I was worried that I was not yet circumcised even as I would be studying at the secondary school level. So during the second school term holidays in 1958, I registered myself as a patient to be circumcised at the Alor Setar General Hospital. My classmates told me that one of the Hospital Assitant, Pak Wan Din was good at performing circumcision. As I was staying with my auntie at Kampung Hutan Setali, Tunjang my cousin, Syed Mahmud and I took the earliest bus to Alor Setar. I was in my best sarong for the day and HA Pak Wan Din did a splendid job on me. After the surgery, we took another bus back to the 18 miles journay back to Hutan Setali. Luckily for me, there was no bleeding while we were on the way back. Thinking aloud, it was very stupid of me to take the risk in taking the rough ride back on the bus during those days.

As the performance of HA Pak Wan Din was excellent, my cousin Syed Mahmud also went for a similar routine during the next third term school holidays. This time around, realising our foolishness during my circumcision, we chartered a taxi back to Hutan Setali. It was indeed a smooth ride for us back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment