Monday, January 9, 2012

REMEMBRANCE 106: STALWART FADES AWAY

When we spend the night at Nana's rented house within the vicinity of her own house in Persada Damai, Enstek, Labu, Negeri Sembilan, on 8th. December 2011, I was very touched when Aisyah asked me innocently , "Bila Tok Lid nak sihat." However her innocent comment did not touch my feeling at all and neither it made me sad. I knew deep in her heart, she was very concerned about me. I have to use a walking stick for my balancing of both of my feet and my physical condition was worsened because of my gout and osteoarthritis. I could not sit continuously and as such I spend most of my free time on the bed pursuing my reading hobby.



Aisyah might have compared my physical condition with that of her paternal grand father, Saill @ Yop. Although Yop and me are of the same age range, Yop was far more active than me. He could still play futsal and took part in bicycle echo challenge and could finish the challenge within the stipulated time. Apart from that, his physical prowess was proven when he able to accompany his nephew in trekking up the Himalayas in late November 2011. The journey to trek up the snow capped mountains with the height of more than 4,000 meters took them 7 days while the journey down took another 5 days. It really need a maximum physical endurance to trail the journey up the mountain in the adverse condition of the weather.
From the photographs that Yong showed me, Yob's trekking prowess was solely based on his own leg power without even the assistance of a mountain trekking supports.



After returning from his successful venture up the Himalayas, Yob was warded at the Pantai Hospital, Ipoh complaining of diarrhea. After diagnosing his ailment, his family was informed about his actual ailment that was the dreaded Big C of his liver which was already at the advance stage level. He was warded for the second time at the Ipoh Hospital when his condition worsened. By then, his wife, Yong has decided to bring him home.


Based on the sad experience of my late friends such as Shariff Nuraini and Penghulu Mohd. Khir who has suffered the same Big C, unless blessed by Allah S.W.T. I strongly believed that the time for Yob was not that far away. As I was not being able to drive the distance to Ipoh, I have got to wait for Shiwar's free time. Luckily Shiwar was free on Tuesday, 24th. January 2012, Zam, Nana and myself made our journey south to Ipoh with Shiwar at the wheel. Yop who used to be very physically fit, looked very frail supinely on the bed. He understood our conversation but he hasn't got the energy to converse with me.



I was very grateful to Allah S.W.T. for giving me the chance to visit my in law for deep in my heart, I believed that was my last encounter with Yop. Sure enough, with the blessing of Allah S.W.T. Yop has passed away peacefully at 8.25 pm. on Sunday, 29th. January 2012. Due to my health impediment, I could not pay my last respect to Yop in Ipoh but Zam, Mak Chik, Mek Tet with Shiwar at the wheel managed to travel down to Ipoh for Yop's last rite. We all do sincerely pray for the blessing of Allah S.W.T. to place the soul of the late Yob amongst the faithfuls.




However on Thursday, 2nd February, i received another surprise about the late Yop when I met Dato' Abdul Aziz Ghani, the District Officer of Kuala Muda when he inquired about my absence at the funeral of Yop @ Saill at Ipoh . I was very surprised by Dato' Aziz's question since I did not have any inkling on his relationship with the late Yob @ Saill. I was even more surprised when he told me that the late Saill was the maternal uncle of his wife, Datin Norlela. When I asked for more details about their relationship with the late Yop, he informed me that Saill was his wife's (Datin Norlela Mohamad) maternal uncle or the younger brother of her mother. In fact, her elder brother Shaziman Mohamad who has just retired from Exxon Mobil was in fact the nephew that accompanied and sponsored Yob @ Saill for the Himalayas trip.


What a small world indeed .... for I failed to realise that Datin Norlela is in fact the first cousin of my son in law, Nazim @ Jim for the last 13 years of marriage with Nana.








No comments:

Post a Comment