Monday, December 21, 2009

SAHOCA 19: AZMI HAMID

Azmi coming out to greet us with Che Gu Shukri paving the way for him

Azmi could not recognise me for his eye sights has failed him


Che Gu Shukri acting as the facilitator

Shaking hands down the memory lanes
Exchanging of medical experiences







From Form One to Form Six in Sultan Abdul Hamid College (1959-1965), the four of us i.e. Abdul Habib Mansur, Abdul Halim Abdullah, Azmi Hamid and myself were in the same class. We were very closed together because we shared the same interest that was in the subject of Arts. Abdul Habib was staying in Titi Gajah, Abdul Halim was staying at Kampung Berjaya, Azmi was staying at Sungai Korok while I was staying with my auntie in Jitra.

During the fruiting season we used to cycle to Habib’s house in Titi Gajah where we used to pluck rambutans in the early morning by just plucking them through the opened windows. To taste durians and other type of fruits, we cycled down to my grand father’s orchard in Kampung Kelubi.

Among the four of us, Azmi was the brightest of all. With the returns of nasi mee telok mamak, Azmi used to lecture us on the subjects of Economy and Mathematics which to us they were really hard nuts to crack. Whereas for Azmi, they were just sweets to chew. With his assistance, we managed to get through the exam with satisfactory grades on the two subjects.

The three of us, Abdul Habib, Abdul Halim and myself continued our tertiary education at University of Malaya. In tandem with his academic capacity, Azmi went to pursue his tertiary education in Australia. He was offered a place in Melbourne University to study Architecture on a Colombo Plan Scholarship. However due to some unavoidable circumstances, Azmi could not finish his study.

For me it was a very sad ending academically for Azmi Hamid who was the brightest of us. However he was fortunate to enjoy blessful wedding life with his marriage to Puan Fauziah Bakar from Batu 11, Jeniang. As a true and sincere friend, Halim Abdullah took the trouble to locate Azmi’s house at No. 406/407 Jalan UJ 13, Taman Universiti Jaya, 08100 Semeling, Bidong.

When Halim handed me Azmi’s invitation for his daughter’s wedding on Saturday, 19.12.2009, I was very anxious to attend the wedding for I could meet Azmi again. Another close friend of Azmi, Che Gu Shukri happily agreed to accompany me to the wedding. With Shiwar at the wheel, we managed to arrive at Azmi’s house at 1.15 p.m. on that day.

As expected, it was quite a tearful reunion for me with Azmi. I was very happy to see Azmi at his commanding attitude which was his trait during our school days. He was very happy in telling me that he has taken over my status as the most sickly person among the four of us. With the strong will power of the old Azmi I used to know, I was laughing to myself when he told me that he was more healthier since he adopted the habit of walking around the compound of his house daily for a duration of one hour non stop. Surely some people might think otherwise when seing an elderly man walking around the house non stop for one solid hour. However to the three of us, we rejoiced with the fact that Azmi has returned to his old self.
I could not get his phone number because of his attitude of not having a phone. Nonetheless , I managed to get his wife's phone number i.e. 017-4203641. I was very embarassed because I thought Puan Fauziah was Azmi's daugther because Azmi did not even introduced me to hia wife.
I do hope that our meeting was the beginning of better things to come. Insya Allah.












































No comments:

Post a Comment