Thursday, January 7, 2010

REMEMBRANCE 61: AM I THAT FOOLISH










When my son asked for my assistance in locating a certain artist that could draw a drawing for the purpose as souvenir within 20 days, I immediately jumped to the request. He told me that the motif of the drawing was to be of the splendour of Gunung Jerai. With that in mind I told my son that I could bring him to a renowned artist in Kedah which I really admire his workmanship especially in the drawing of realist art with the medium of water colour which could easily befit as a royal souvenir.

After listening to my intention of visiting him, the artist assured me he could produce the painting as specified by my son’s organization. I asked him for the estimated cost of his works with the element of discounting. He gave us the estimated cost taking into account of my acquaintance with him for the past 40 years.

As my son has not got the authority to decide, so I told him that my son must get the clearance before assigning him with the proposed work of arts. He agreed to follow my son up to Gunung Jerai after my son has obtained the official clearance for the proposed assignment. My son obtained the official clearance on 4.1.2010 and he brought the artist up to Gunung Jerai on 6.1.2010.

On the evening of 6.1.2010 when I asked my son about the outcome of the visit to Gunung Jerai, I was aghast when my son told me that another renowned artist of Kedah has also went up the mountain with the assignment of producing a drawing of 8 times the size of our proposed drawing but 10 times the cost of the initial drawing proposed to my son’s organization.

I could not sleep the whole night because I kept thinking about whether it was my foolish act that has created the unintentional mess and sentimental confrontations between the artist fraternity up at Gunung Jerai. My genuine intention of getting the best deal for my son's organisation has indeed gone awry. Without realising it, the mess has also damaged my integrity and reputation that I has built with artist fraternity in Kedah. I really pray and hope that my son’s organization which has a very reputable standings would take the honourable decision of a win-win solution which does not hurt anybody’s feeling and ego. Insya Allah

No comments:

Post a Comment