Tuesday, November 17, 2009

REMEMBRANCE 54: DRIVING INSTRUCTOR

On Sunday, 15.11.2009 I put on my best dress for my medical appointment at the Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital. It was my first appointment for my prostrate ailment at the Urology Department. Since I was very familiar with the staffs of that department, I put on my best dress just for the sake impressing the medical staff.

Normally for my medical appointments, I used to wear my jeans which has a lot of pockets which provide me with a lot of space for my medical cards and medicine. My dream to impress the nurses were shattered to pieces when on the lady patients enquired whether I was the Pendang driving instructor which she knew.

Two weeks before I was wearing the same dress at the hospital when I was asked by a patient whether I was a medical doctor at the hospital. She was impressed with me because I narrated to her about the whole procedure as well as the costing for total knee replacement procedure at the hospital. I earned my knowledge about TKR because I helped to facilitate the TKR procedure for Mak Teh..

To make the matter more interesting, I found out later that the lady was indeed related to me. Her husband is the nephew is my late mother’s second cousin Pak Ngah Man of Kampung Hutan Setali. They were accompanying her nine year old grand son for his homeo dialysis treatment.

As if not enough with the co incidence and to add icing to the cake, I told her about Jim’s nephew Ashraf who is also suffering from similar kidney disease. We were astonished when both of the boys share the same name of Ashraf. What a small world indeed.

Supposed to be my best dressed attire for my medical appointment


Rosli the strong man of Kampung Telaga Batu, Sik during the eighties. During my two years stint as a District Officer in Sik in 1982, he has tested my patient to the limit. He was very hard indeed to handle because of his quick temper and hostile attitude towards the establishment. When I met him after after 27 years at the Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital on Sunday, he was totally a changed man. He is now a very docile courteous man who shares the same problem with me i.e. heart problem.


The sickly Pak Man with his cane at the hospital




Zam exchanging sickly news with Zam


Pak Hashim from Felda Lubuk Merbau, the nephew of Pak Ngah Man and Mak Ngah Tam of Kampung Hutan Setali




Pak Hashim and his wife


Mohd. Ashraf, Pak Hahsim's grand son who is suffering from kidney disease. He is the same age as Nur Aisyah but he looks much older than Aisyah because of his ailness. He has to go for homoe dialysis on every alternate days.

No comments:

Post a Comment